Submit your completed application to International Career Studies via mail, e-mail or fax as well as any outstanding fees.

Confirm the specifics of your program with ICS 5 days prior to departure such as departure dates, program length, travel plans, accommodations, etc., with your program coordinator.

Read through your Orientation Package and the What to Expect pages.

Read the Travel Report for your host country, available on the Foreign Affairs & International Trade Canada website.   Check it often to be aware of any potential issues that may arise while travelling.

Ensure that your passport  is valid well beyond the date of your anticipated return; keep a copy of the identification page separate from the original. 

Arrange for supplemental travel health insurance.  Your current health insurance may not cover you outside of the country.

Take care of health needs: vaccinations, prescriptions, medical certificates, supplies, extra eyeglasses.  Take extra care to document and pack any prescriptions to avoid hassle at customs.  Be sure to check with airlines to know what you can and cannot pack in your carry-on(s).

Leave copies of your passport identification page, itinerary, and insurance policy with friends or family.

Obtain any required visas well in advance.  Talk to a member of the ICS team for application assistance.

If travelling with children, carry documentation proving your right to accompany them (e.g., a consent letter or court order).

Anticipate financial needs, such as local currency, visa fees, within country transit costs, baggage fees, and departure tax.

Check whether dual citizenship is an issue for you.

Carry an Emergency Contact Card with the coordinates of the nearest government office in your destination country.  This should be kept on your person at all times while travelling abroad.

Obtain an International Driving Permit, if required.

Arrange for airport pick-up service. 

Check with your airline(s) to see carry-on restrictions and luggage requirements.

Check to see if any special electrical adaptors are required in order to use your electrical devices.

Ensure you carry a list of names for your in-country contact and program coordinator and all contact numbers.

If you have any further questions about preparing for your trip abroad, feel free to contact the International Career Studies for tips and travel help or check out the FAQ section on the Canadian government’s website.